Ryan Reynolds took to bodybuilding for his role of Hannibal King in Blade Trinity, and rumors had it that he had to lose 20 pounds and get his body fat percentage down. Voted the SEXIEST MAN ALIVE-2010, Ryan Reynolds attributes it to nutrition and we give you an insight into the diet he followed to get his famous abs and bag the title. His height is 6’2″ and weight is 231 lbs.
Ryan Reynolds Diet:
Ryan Reynolds believes in eating after every 2-3 hours, and eating in small amounts rather than gorging up on food. He also recommends drinking a lot of water throughout the day. According to Bryan Strom, Ryan’s trainer:
Your body doesn’t need to store fat for energy if you’re feeding it all the time.
Ryan also prefers home-cooked food. While he did not have a personal chef, he would make food himself and freeze it, so that he could heat it and have it in the morning.
Ryan Reynolds is believed to follow this diet plan before he started bodybuilding.
- BREAKFAST : 1/2 cup egg whites and 2 eggs. Oatmeal – no sugar, a protein bar 2-3 hours later.
- LUNCH : chicken and veggies/brown rice. a protein bar 2-3 hours later.
- DINNER : fish or chicken with salad and vegetables. Balsamic vinegar for dressing. Optimum Whey Protein Shakes throughout the night and right before bed.
As you can see, he had only 3 meals in a day. However this all changed when Strom took him under his guidance. According to Strom:
I cooked for him six days a week. I’d make a healthy Bolognese: 97% fat-free ground bison, sautéed in a skillet with broccolini and my own marinara sauce, along with black pepper, a little cayenne, and some garlic. No salt, so sugar, served over brown rice or a top-quality brown rice pasta. I’d also cook ground turkey and grilled salmon.
Ryan Reynolds’ Typical Diet
Breakfast : 2 eggs, some “good” fat like a spoon of almond butter or slice of avocado, and 1 cup of oatmeal with apple sauce
Mid-morning snack : Protein bar
Lunch : Tuna wrap or chicken and salad
Mid-afternoon snack : Protein shake (whey and water), protein bar, or apple and almonds
Evening Snack : Protein shake
Dinner : Broiled fish or chicken, brown rice, vegetables, and salad
Ryan Reynolds’ Tips on Getting A Great Body
- Ryan Reynolds says it is better to have 6-8 small meals a day and taking whey protein alongside, rather than having 3 large meals in a day, in order to build lots of lean muscle mass.
- Avoid taking carbs at night, but take plenty of them during the day, since they provide you with the energy to exercise and keep the blood sugar levels stable.
- He strongly advices against following a low carb diet. Prefer not to have carbs at night, but dont screw up your blood sugar levels.
- He also believes that eating properly is equal to achieving 80% of your dream physique. Get enough calories to build muscle, but not in excess to build fat.
Ryan on Supplements:
Creatine is one thing that helped Ryan Reynolds gain lots of lean muscle mass. Ryan Reynolds also took L-glutamine, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), whey, and a multivitamin.